All UK companies have had a levy imposed on their energy bills since 2001, which has usually been increased each year by the rate of inflation. Since 2001 energy intensive industries such as printing have been allowed to claim a discount from the levy in return for commitments to improve energy efficiency.
The second phase of the Climate Change Agreement (CCA) Scheme started in January 2013 with new entrants being able to join from 1 April 2013. The current Climate Change Levy (CCL) charge is 0.554 pence per kWh on Electricity and 0.193 pence per kWh on Gas with the maximum discounts available being 90% on Electricity and 65% on Gas.
How does it work?
To take part in this voluntary scheme a site needs to enter into a CCA with the Government and submit data every two years via their industry trade association.
As a voluntary scheme a site can leave any time it wishes with no penalty.
What are the benefits?
The financial benefits are as follows and depend on energy usage:
|Annual Electricity Usage||Annual Site Usage||Annual Site Saving|
The BPIF administers the scheme on behalf of the site, undertaking site visits to explain the requirements, checking the eligibility forms and targets and reporting a site's results every two years.
Sites with a CCA are also exempt from the Governments costly CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme.
There is a charge for the scheme from the BPIF and the Government. The BPIF charge varies depending on turnover and whether the company is a member, but starts at £1,000 per year. The Government charges £185 per year, which the BPIF collects.
So if a site is saving more than the administration fee it makes sense to join the scheme.
- Resource Library We have a wealth of online templates you can use. From incident report forms to checklists and guidance, as a member you are entitled to use these all for your business.
- Our Advisers are industry experts Our Advisers understand your business and how to ensure you meet key environment issues.
- We can assess the health of your business We can tell you how your business is performing and how it compares with current UK environmental legislation with a BPIF Healthcheck.
- Stamp your business with a BPIF Environmental Seal of Excellence Once you have assessed where your company is at we can help you achieve and be recognised for excellence.
- Legislation Update Service The Legal Register is a list of legislation applicable to the Printing Industry, it offers you a way to keep up to date with environmental and health & safety changes.
The BPIF is the printing industries champion. By becoming a member you join a diverse and influential community. We help you solve business problems, connect you to new customers and suppliers and make your voice heard in government.
Call 01924 203 335